When your Xbox Series S or X controller is connected to the console, but its buttons are not working, power cycle the controller, which also soft resets it. Here’s how to do that:
- Turn off the controller by pressing and holding the Xbox button for 20 seconds.
- Remove the batteries and wait for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, re-insert the batteries and turn on the controller.
If this does not work, un-pair and then pair the controller again, restart the console, and update the controller’s firmware using PC.
Did you try changing the controller batteries? If not, change them and see if it resolves the issue.
Take a closer look at the button that is not working. There could be dirt or debris blocking it from working properly, so if you notice anything underneath the button, use a soft cloth to clean it.
Re-Sync the Controller
If power cycling the controller didn’t work, try unsyncing it from your console and then pair it again.
To unpair the controller, press and hold the Pair button on the controller until the controller vibrates twice.
When it is unpaired, remove the batteries from the controller, and wait for 3 minutes.
After 3 minutes, install the batteries, and turn it On.
Now its time to pair it back again. To do that, first press the pair button on your Xbox Series S or X (small black button), and immediately after that, press and hold the pair button on the controller.
Keep it pressed until the Xbox light starts flashing quickly on both the controller and the console.
The first troubleshooting step is t pres the button that is not functioning properly with a little more force than usual.
Be careful not to press too hard, as this could damage the controller.
Repeat this process 2 to 3 times and see if the buttons on your Xbox controllers starts working.
Restart the Console
Since your controller is not working, here’s how to reboot Xbox Series X without controller:
- Press and hold the Xbox button on the front of the console for 10 to 15 seconds. This will shut down the console.
- Unplug it from the power source.
- Now, press the Xbox button again for 5 to 7 seconds to reset the console’s power supply, and then wait for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, plug your console back in and turn it on.
Update Controller Firmware
Since your controller buttons are not working, you can only update its firmware by connecting it to your PC. Here’s how to do that:
- First install Xbox Accessories app on your PC from Microsoft Store, and open it.
- Connect your Xbox Series X controller to your computer using USB cable.
- When the controller is connected, click on Update now in the Xbox Accessories app to install the update.
Keep the controller connected to the PC until the update is fully installed.
I hope you found this guide useful. If you have any question about this guide, feel free to ask me!