If you have set up a Guest network on your Linksys router to provide internet access to your visitors, but it doesn’t seem to be working, there are few things you can try to get it to work.
First, Most Linksys routers come with the guest network feature disabled by default, so you will need to enable it in the router’s settings.
Even if you have already enabled it, disable it and then enable it again, as this can often resolve the issue.
Here’s how to do that:
Make sure you are connected to the router that you want to troubleshoot.
- Open the web browser on your laptop and visit “192.168.1.1”.
- Next, enter the username and password. You can find it on the bottom of your router or its box. Mostly, the default username/password is admin.
- Click on Configuration and then expand the Wi-Fi settings.
- Click on Guest Access.
- Next, check the box for the Allow Guest Access option.
- Click on Save.
- Now, set a password for your guest network, and choose the maximum connections you want to allow.
By default, the SSID for the guest network would be the same as your primary network with -guest suffix added.
Still Not Working? Power Cycle the Router
If Guest Access is enabled in your Linksys router’s settings, but it’s still not working, try power cycling your router. Don’t worry; it’s straightforward.
Here’s how to do it:
- Turn off your router using its power button.
- Unplug it from the power source for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, plug it back in and turn it On. Wait a few minutes.
Update Router Firmware
Updating your router firmware fixes many problems caused by bugs and glitches.
Here’s how you update your Linksys router firmware:
It is recommended to use an Ethernet connection to update your router firmware instead of a Wi-Fi connection.
- Visit the Linksys support page and enter your router model number. As my router model was E1200, I have written E1200 in the search field.
- Click on the Get Support button.
- Click on Downloads/Firmware to download your router’s latest firmware and save it to your desktop. The file format should be .bin, .img, or .bix.
- Now, connect your computer to your router through an ethernet cable.
- Open a web browser and visit “192.168.1.1”. You will be asked to enter login details.
The default username/password of most Linksys routers is admin.
- Once logged in, click the Administration option in the left side panel and select Firmware Upgrade.
- Click the Browse button and select the firmware file you downloaded.
- Click on the Start Upgrade button. Now, your router will start upgrading its firmware.
Do not turn off your router during the upgrade process, as it can cause permanent damage to your router.
- Once the upgrade is successful, click on the Continue button.