If your Brother printer prints in the opposite orientation to what you have set, it could be due to wrong settings, outdated drivers, or a malware.
So the first thing to do is to check program settings from where you are sending the print command.
For example, if you are sending a print command to your Brother printer from some application like Microsoft Word etc., check if you selected landscape mode there.
- To select Portrait mode in Microsoft Office applications, such as Word or Excel, click on Page Layout tab.
- Click on Orientation and select Portrait from there. See the screenshot below:
If you are printing from some other application, make sure that Portrait mode is selected in page setup on print window.
Next, select Portrait Mode as default printer orientation in Windows settings. Here’s how to do that:
- Open Windows Search by pressing Windows + S keys on the keyboard.
- Type Control Panel and press Enter.
Alternatively, you can also access control panel via Windows Run by pressing Windows Key + R at the same time and then entering the control command.
- Click on Devices and Printers.
- In next window, select Printers & scanners.
- Choose your brother printer from the list of printers.
- Click on Printer properties.
- Select Portrait under the Orientation option. Click on Apply button to save the changes.
If your Brother printer keeps printing in landscape mode even if you have set portrait as the default, there are a few more steps you can take. First, try updating your printer drivers. Then, clear the printer queue and scan your PC for viruses.
Update Printer Driver
First, make sure you have installed the latest drivers available for your Brother printer on your PC.
Here’s how to update your Brother printer driver in Windows 10 or Windows 11:
- Open Device Manager. You can open it by typing devmgmt.msc command in Windows Run.
- Expand the Printers section.
- Right-click on your Brother printer and choose Update Driver.
- In next window, select Search automatically for the driver option.
Alternatively, you can also download latest drivers for your printer from Brother website. To do that, visit Brother support page.
- Type your Brother printer model, and click on Search button.
- Select your printer from the search list.
- Select your OS version and press OK button.
- Download the Full Driver & Software Package and install it.
Once the drivers are updated, restart your computer for changes to take effect.
Clear Print Queue
Another very common cause of your Brother printer not printing correctly is jammed printer queue.
So, try clearing your print queue. Here’s how to do that in Windows 11:
- Type Printers & scanners in Windows search and open it.
- Click on your Brother printer and then click on Open queue button. You will see list of documents are in the print queue.
- Right-click each document and select Cancel from the context menu.
Scan your Computer
If none of the above works, your PC may be infected by a virus which is overriding its default printer setting.
Luckily, both Windows 10 and Windows 11 comes Windows Security Antivirus. Here’s how to use it:
- Open Windows Search by pressing Windows + S keys.
- Type Windows Security and open it.
- Under Current threats, click on Scan options. Next, choose Full Scan.
Depending upon the data on your computer, it might take Windows a few hours to complete the scan.
- If any virus is detected during the scan, you will get options to remove it. Click on Start actions button to remove the virus or malware.
I hope after following the above fixes, your Brother printer will print precisely according to your preferred mode – portrait or landscape.
In case you have any questions related to this guide, please feel free to ask me in the comments sections.