When your Xbox Series X audio is not working in games, changing the display override settings on your Xbox will fix the issue. Here’s how to do that:
- Open Settings.
- Under General, go to TV & display options.
- Go to Video fidelity & overscan.
- Under Display, change the Overrides from DVI to HDMI.
Your display might black out for few seconds.
- Once done, go back to TV & display options and change the resolution to 1080p.
Hopefully, this will restore the audio back on your Xbox.
If this doesn’t work for you, change the input source on the display, power cycle your Xbox and TV or monitor, update the console firmware, or switch the HDMI cable ends.
You don’t have to try all these steps; follow them in order until you find a solution that works for you.
Temporarily Switch Display Input
If your monitor or TV has multiple input ports, change the input source for a while and then switch it back.
Let me explain: If you have connected your Xbox console to the HDMI 2 port of the TV or monitor, change the input source to HDMI 1 and then switch it back to HDMI 2.
Alternatively, try unplugging the HDMI cable and putting it in another port.
While this fix may seem very strange, it has been reported by many users that doing so helped them resolve the sound issue on their Xbox.
Power Cycle your Console and Display
Here’s how to power cycle your display:
- Disconnect your Xbox from the display and then turn it off.
- Unplug the display from the power source.
- Hold the power button on your TV or monitor for 10 seconds.
- Now, plug it back in and turn it On.
To power cycle your Xbox Series X, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Xbox button on the front of the console for 10 to 15 seconds. This will shut down the console.
- Unplug it from the power source.
- Now, press the Xbox button again for 5 to 7 seconds to reset the console’s power supply, then wait for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, plug your console back in and turn it on.
If this does not work, move on to the next method.
Update your Console
Is your Xbox console running on the latest firmware? I am asking this because most unexpected problems, such as this audio one, are often caused by software glitches, which can be easily fixed by simply updating the firmware.
So, here’s how to update your Xbox Series X or S:
- Open Settings on your Xbox.
- Go to System -> Updates.
- If any update is available, install it.
I recommend checking the Keep my console up to date and keep my games & apps up-to-date option.
You may need to change the HDMI cable if the audio is still not working.
Switch HDMI Cable Ends
The Xbox console uses an HDMI cable to output the audio to your display. If the cable is faulty or not correctly connected, it can cause audio issues.
So, ensure it is properly connected to the Xbox and the TV. Also, try switching the ends of the HDMI cable.
If you have a spare HDMI cable available, use that to rule out the cable as the source of this problem.
Contact Xbox Support
If none of the above methods I have explained worked for you, it is possible that the sound problem on your Xbox Series X console is due to a hardware issue.
In this case, I recommend getting in touch with Xbox support. If your console has hardware-related issues and is under warranty, they may offer a free repair.
If you have any questions about this guide, ask me in the comments section.