When your PS5 controller D-Pad stops working, press the PS and touchpad buttons together for 5 to 7 seconds.
This has solved the D-Pad not working issue for many PS5 users, so it should also work for you.
If this doesn’t work, use the force method, reset the controller, clean the D-Pad buttons, and update the firmware.
If none of these works, your controller may have a physical damage. In that case, you will need to get it repaired or buy a replacement.
The instruction in this guide also applies to DualShock 4 controllers.
So, if you are having issues with your PS4 controller D-Pad, you can also follow these fixes.
Reboot your Playstation 5
This might seem too obvious, but it has worked for many users. Here’s how to reboot your PS5 console:
- Press and hold the Power button on the console for 5 seconds.
- Once it turns off, wait for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, turn it On again.
The Force Method
Try to apply some force to the button that is not working. For example, if your DualSense D-Pad Up button is not working, press it a little hard multiple times.
Remember to apply a slight force, don’t press it too hard, or you may damage it.
On Reddit, many PS5 users have confirmed that this method helped them fix the D-Pad issue.
Reset your PS5 DualSense Controller
Here’s how to reset your PS5 DualSense controller:
- Turn off your PlayStation.
- Look for a small hole on the backside of the controller. It would be next to the SONY logo.
- Insert a small paperclip or similar object into this hole and hold the button for at least 5 seconds.
- Now, turn On your PS5.
- Connect the controller to it using a USB-C cable and press the PS button on the controller.
Clean D-Pad Buttons
If dust or debris gets stuck between the D-pad buttons on your PS5 controller, the buttons won’t work.
Cleaning the D-Pad buttons is very easy. To do that, take a piece of paper, fold it once or twice, and gently insert it into the sides of the D-pad buttons.
Move it around to remove any dust or debris.
Repeat this process for all the buttons.
If the issue was due to dirt, your controller should now be good to go!
Update DualSense Controller Firmware
If cleaning the D-Pad buttons didn’t work, the issue may be a glitch or bug. Updating the controller firmware should fix it.
To update the firmware of your DualSense controller, follow these steps:
- Connect your DualSense controller to your PlayStation 5 console using a USB cable.
- Open the Settings on your PS5.
- Navigate to the Accessories and select the Controller option.
- Next, select the Wireless Controller Device Software option.
- If any firmware update is available, you will see following screen:
- Click on the Update button.
Do not turn off your PS5 or unplug the USB cable from the controller, when the update is in progress.
Have you got any questions about this guide? Feel free to ask me!