HP printers not printing double-sided or duplex is a very common issue which could be due to several reasons, such as mis-configured printer settings, failed print jobs in queue, or a random glitch.
Setting double-sided printing as default option in Windows settings and rebooting your HP printer will fix this issue. Here’s how to do that:
- Open Control Panel. To open that, press Windows + S keys to open Windows Search and then type Control Panel there.
- Click on Devices and Printers. See the screenshot below:
- Right click on your HP printer and select Printer Properties option. See the screenshot below:
- If your printer supports duplex printing, you will see option for that under Finishing tab.
- Check Print on both sides option and save the changes. See the screenshot below:
If the issue persists, soft reset your HP printer. Here’s how to do that:
- Turn off your HP printer.
- Disconnect it from the power source for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then, plug it back in and turn it On.
Still having issues with duplex printing on your HP printer? Set your HP printer as default printer in Windows settings, clear printer queue and update drivers.
Set your HP Printer as Default Printer
Here’s how set your HP printer as default printer in Windows 10 and Windows 11:
On Windows 11? Skip to steps for Windows 11.
- Press the Windows + R key to open the Run Dialog box. Next, type control and hit Enter.
- Click on Devices and Printers. This will display all the printers that are connected to your PC.
- Right-click on your HP printer and select Set as the default printer option in the context menu.
- Press the Windows + R key to open the Run Dialog box. Next, type control and hit Enter
- Click on View Devices and Printers option.
- Click on Printers and scanners.
- Disable the Let Windows manage my default printer option.
- Select your printer, and then click on Set as default option next to it.
Clear Print Queue
Having failed print jobs in the print queue can be another cause of your HP printer not printing correctly. So, try clearing the print queue.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel and click on Devices and Printers.
- Right-click on your HP printer and select See what’s printing option in the context menu.
This will open its print queue. If you see jobs there, cancel them.
- Click on View Devices and Printers option and then on Printers and scanners.
- Select your HP printer, and then click on Open print queue.
- Cancel any print jobs there and close it.
Update the Printer Driver
- Visit HP Printer Drivers page.
- Type your printer model and click on Submit button.
- Select your Operating System and then download all the driver/firmware packages marked as Recommended and install them.