If you are using a Dell dock with your laptop and it gives an error “Your dock fan has failed. You may experience reduced performance until your dock is serviced.” or its fan is making noise, plug your laptop directly into its AC power adapter.
If this doesn’t work, resetting the dock or updating its firmware will fix this issue, provided that it is not caused by hardware failure.
Always use the Dell power adapter that originally came with your docking station. If you’re currently using a different adapter, simply switching to the original one should solve the problem.
Directly Power your Laptop
If you are powering your laptop from the docking station, well, that may be the cause of the problem.
So, try powering the laptop directly using the laptop AC power adapter.
Thanks to JimboDaDude at Dell Community for this tip.
Reset your Dock
Resetting the Dell dock is one of the most effective methods to fix its fan-related issues. To reset your Dell docking station, do these steps in order:
- First remove all the dock cables from your computer.
- Unplug the AC power from your docking station.
- Press and hold the Power button for about 1 minute to drain the remaining power.
- Plug the AC power cable back into the dock.
If the power button on your Dell docking station blinks 3 times, it means the reset operation was successful.
Now plug the cables back into your computer.
Update Dock Firmware
If resetting your dock does not fix the problem, it might be due to some software bugs. So, try updating the dock firmware:
- Go to the Dell support page.
- Select Browse all products.
- Go to Electronics and Accessories > PC and Tablet Accessories.
- Search for your dock model and select it.
- Select the Drivers and Download section on the left side and choose your Operating System.
- Next, download the Firmware Update Utility from the list.
- Once download is completed, the the firmware update utility and install it.
- Restart your laptop.
I hope by following the above methods, you will be able to fix your dell docking station fan-related problems.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!